That’s It, That’s All

It is nearly 2 p.m., and so I have been home for nearly two hours. At approximately 15 minutes before 11 a.m., I finished my final exam of my undergraduate degree. As I might have mentioned, it consisted of two essay-style questions. As I expected, my hand hurt like hell after finishing, but it was well worth it for that glorious feeling of being done forever. Or at least I hope.

It was a really, really good thing I left as early as I did. It usually takes me an hour to get to school, and the exam started at 9 a.m. I was on a bus from my house by a few minutes past 7. Smooth bus ride.

Once I got to Kipling subway station, the fun began. And you can probably tell I’m not going to be describing anything remotely fun.

As I walked up the stairs to track level, I heard that good old familiar automated voice: “Attention customers on the Bloor-Danforth line. We are currently experiencing a delay eastbound at Keele station due to a passenger alarm activated on the train. Response personnel have been dispatched.”

On almost any other day I might have made a disgusted sigh, but I knew I was feeling calm because I actually smiled to myself. Being near rush hour, the two trains that had to hold at Kipling were packed with people. Well, one was, and when I got there the one I went on became slowly more packed as the train held longer and longer.

I ended up being stuck at Kipling for probably somewhere between 25 minutes and half an hour. All the while I was rereading some readings (try saying that five times) and eventually the train got going. When I should have gotten to school at a few minutes past eight, I instead got there a few minutes past eight-thirty. But hey, I was still early, and I wasn’t in a bad mood at all.

The exam wasn’t too bad, just a lot of writing, as I mentioned. It turns out my writings over the past few days about technology were really useful, particularly yesterday’s post, as it helped me better organize my thoughts for the two broad questions I answered.

As a semi-reward for myself, I went and bought the last two books missing from my complete collection of Haruki Murakami’s books. Today I bought The Elephant Vanishes and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, even though I’ve actually read it already.

Including The Elephant Vanishes, I still also need to read Underground (his only non-fiction book) and After Dark. And of course, once it makes its way to English I’ll have to read his new book, Colorless Tazaki Tsukuru and His Years of Pilgrimage (if I got the title right). I want to ration my Murakami for a while, though, since I know it’ll be a little while before the new book comes out and I don’t want to go through too much of a dry spell.

Pretty soon I’m going to be getting to work on the “pilot” episode of the Fed podcast, based on a column by a cool Toronto Star writer. Now that I no longer have access to school technology, I need to make do with what I can at home, which involves using crappier editing software. But I’ll manage, I think, just need to adapt to the clunkiness.

That’s about all I have to babble about today. See you tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s